Download Enrollment Application here: Enrollment Form
The North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety Citizen Police Academy provides an opportunity for citizens to learn firsthand about police operations. The student learns to differentiate fact from fiction, fostering a better understanding and communication between the police department and the public.
The North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety Citizen Police Academy was created to build a strong and lasting partnership between the residents and businesses of North Myrtle Beach and the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety through cooperation and education.
The academy will last 10 weeks with most classes conducted between 7pm and 9 pm. The instructors will be employees with the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety
Unless otherwise specified, classes are conducted at the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety, 1015 2nd Avenue South, North Myrtle Beach, SC.
Overview of North Myrtle Beach Public Safety Department Operations and Organization
Fire Department/Hazmat/Fire Prevention
Training/Use of Force/Taser
Traffic Division/Accidents/Motorcycle Patrol/Citations
Community Services/Code Enforcement/Special Events/Animal Control
Records/Dispatch/Detention Facility/Victim Advocate
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PARTICIPATION
Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years of age and reside in the city limits of North Myrtle Beach. Applicants must have appropriately completed an application and waivers to the academy. Applicants must pass a criminal and traffic background check.
The class will be limited to 20 students, with a minimum enrollment of 10 students.
The North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety Citizen Police Academy is coordinated and presented by North Myrtle Beach Community Services Section. Please send written inquiries to: North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety, Officer Julie Smith, 1015 2nd Avenue South, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 or call (843) 281-3706.
ACADEMY RULES OF CONDUCT
• Participants are required to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
• Participants are required to wear appropriate attire and their identification badges during all training activities. ID badges are to be returned to the training staff after each session.
• Participants are expected to attend all sessions.
• Participants may miss two sessions and still graduate.
• Participants should arrive on time for each session.
• The Citizen Police Academy is closed to all, except enrollees, due to confidential material and office safety (i.e. no children, spouses, friends permitted).
• Weapons of any kind are prohibited (except those carried by law enforcement officers).
• No smoking or other tobacco use is permitted in the building or at any other training location.
• Participants MUST complete the accompanying applications and waivers in their entirety.
• No “horseplay” or other inappropriate behavior will be tolerated.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING
Due to the sensitive and classified nature of the material that will be shared with you during the Citizen Police Academy, it is essential that each Citizen Police Academy applicant complete this application thoroughly and truthfully. A criminal and traffic background check will be done on all applicants. It is imperative to the security of our agency that each accepted applicant is of good moral and legal standing. This form must be typewritten or printed in ink. All questions must be answered, if applicable. If not applicable, indicate as such. All applicants must sign the “Release of Liability” form that accompanies this application in order to participate in the academy. Applications that are incomplete and/or unreadable will not be considered. If space provided is not sufficient for complete answers, or you wish to furnish additional information, attach additional sheets to this form and refer to the relevant question. The personal information you provide in this application will remain confidential.
Please return completed application to: North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety
Attention: Officer Julie Smith, Citizen Police Academy
1015 2nd Avenue South
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582