About Police Training
The Police Training Unit provides quality training to the department’s Uniform Patrol.
All new recruits are required to take a 12 week Basic Academy courses. In addition, new recruits take a 16 week Police Training Officer program.
The PTO Program is a post-graduation training. It is a Community organized problem-solving approach used for the post-graduation training.
Training and Certification
All Uniform Patrol officers are trained as either a Class I or Class III Limited Duty officer.
Class I officers are required by Academy standards to have 40 hours or training between a 3 year period. This includes…
- 18 hours of Core Training divided as…
- 6 hours of required Legal Updates (2 a year)
- 12 hours of required Domestic Violence training (4 a year)
- 22 hours of In-Service training, taught by an Academy approved instructor and approved lesson plans.
The 22 hour in-service training includes yearly training sessions in…
- Defense Tactics Training
- Firearms Range Training
- Active Shooter Training
- Ethics Training
- Taser Training
- Defensive Driving Training
In addition, the Police Training Department is the liaison between our officers and training agencies.
Police Training Center
The Department of Public Safety houses a training room for lessons and use the shooting range out in Conway.