About Citizens Police Academy
The Citizens Police Academy provides an opportunity for residents to learn first-hand about police operations. The program fosters better understanding and communication between the Department of Public Safety and the public.
The Citizens Police Academy was created to build a strong and lasting partnership between the residents and businesses of North Myrtle Beach and Department of Public Safety through cooperation and education.
The Citizens Academy is ten weeks long, with most classes held on a weekday between 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM. The instructors and presenters are current Public Safety employees.
Classes are held at the Department of Public Safety, located at 1015 2nd Avenue South.
- Department Operations and Organization
- Uniform Patrol
- Criminal Investigations
- Fire Rescue, Hazardous Materials, Technical Rescue and Prevention
- Training, Use of Force and TASER
- Traffic, Motors and Collision Investigation
- Community Services, Code Enforcement, Animal Control and Special Events
- Records, Dispatch and Detention
- Victim’s Advocate
- Municipal Court
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and reside within the city limits of North Myrtle Beach.
- Applicants must have completed an application and academy waivers.
- Applicants must pass a criminal and traffic background check.